Thursday, March 05, 2009

Bowling Night Report, 3/5/09

The worst part of IPSC shooting is when you've settled into a nice rhythm and something stops. I brought my pistol in line with one of the steel targets and fired... and nothing. The spent case failed to eject, so I had to cycle the slide by hand and try again. Breaking rhythm messed up my sight picture enough to where I missed and had to reload on the stage.

My re-shoot was better. 5 targets in a little over 6 seconds is okay, but not great. I spent too much time trying to get a perfect sight picture on the center target, but those steel popper targets fell quickly. On the steel targets, the difference between my XD40 and my 1911 is like night and day. I just miss the extra four shots of the XD40's magazine compared to the 8-round magazine of the 1911. The 1911 fits in my hand better and is more accurate because of it. So it's a trade-off, I suppose.

Ah well. The range nice and warm for once. I'm sick of winter and its effect on the indoor range, which makes the range cold and miserable. Of course, I'll probably feel the same way when summer humidity hits, as my safety glasses tend to fog up on the worst days. Still, though, it will be warm. I can deal with warm.

No comments: