Thursday, January 08, 2009

Bowling Night Report, 1/08/09

It's a new year, I have a new pistol (An STI Trojan in .40 S&W) and apparently this is the handgun I'm going to shoot in competition from now on. I usually suck at classifiers. They're rarely good to me, and tonight's setup required engaging the targets using only my strong hand, then engaging later using only my weak hand. I was surprised at how much the 1911 style of handgun fits my hand pretty much perfectly. I was also pleased with the accuracy. Each of the three targets tonight would end up with eight shots in each if shot properly. Tonight, I got to hear "Eight Alpha!" as my score on one of the targets. Most of my shots went right where I aimed that sight, center of mass. There were plenty of low shots, most of which were scored when I was shooting using only one hand. I'll need to work a little more on that.

The other beautiful thing besides my shooting tonight was the influx of new shooters. I got to the match at about 6pm tonight, and usually I'm done shooting by 7pm. I didn't get a chance to shoot until about 8pm. That's almost unheard of on classifier nights, since the stages shot on those nights tend to be very quick. More shooters means more competition, sure, but it also means a lot more fun. If one of your local ranges has a weekly IPSC match, go check it out. It's always good to have more shooters in the sport. As I've said somewhere before, it's probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

No comments: