Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Formal Training, Week 4

Saturday, I ran my running group's usual jogging/biking trail with my new patellar knee bands, and my new ankle brace. The knees? No pain. The ankle? No pain. The shin? I still had the pain of shin splints.

Tonight, I ran part of the Abe's Amble with the addition of a shin compression sleeve.

I noted approximately zero shin pain, no knee pain, and no ankle pain. This gave me the opportunity to focus on my muscles and see how the leg muscles are doing. Apparently my quads still aren't up to snuff, and I had to stop for a few seconds on the leg back to our finish point to get my calves stretched.

I did a bunch of stretching prior to tonight's run. Legs, torso, lower back, shoulders, arms, everything I could think of stretching. My back didn't hurt like it did without stretching. My joints felt fine. I was sweaty and need to work more on breath control, but I felt really good with the alternating running and walking.

I thought that the whole 10-kilometer run might not be achievable when I started this project. It is very achievable. For tonight, though, I'm going to kick back, grab a little ice for the sore muscles, and call it a good run.

No comments: