Saturday, December 15, 2007

Bowling Night, 12/13/07

Well, I think I saved Santa's helpers last night. Our no-shoot targets were decked out with little red Santa hats last night. My shooting wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I got a really good tip about using my support hand when firing two-handed. Keeping the grip of my support hand strong will help me keep on target. I'd like to score a lot more A-zone shots since those will both score and time. The big success for me will be able to achieve the double-tap: one shot followed up a second that is so quick that they'll land close to each other. It's not a mythical shot by any means, but it's going to require a lot more practice on my part. Recoil isn't a bad thing with regards to the XD40. Keeping it under control with a strong support hand will mean faster follow-ups and better scores. Practical shooting is a skill that requires a lot of self-control as well as controlling your point of aim. It's a lot like golf or bowling in that respect. You have to be very precise even though you're dealing with a lot of physical forces trying to keep you from doing what you want: gravity, wind, muscle power, speed, centrifugal force, all the fun parts of motion. If a stronger grip will help tame those forces a little more, it will be worth it.

No comments: