Sunday, November 25, 2007

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving holiday was better than the previous year's. As for my family's Thanksgiving, it was nice. One of Dad's friends came over for Thanksgiving dinner and we had a fine old time shooting the breeze. Sadly, we did no shooting of any firearms as the weather decided to go from pleasant to cold and rainy overnight, and it's been this way seemingly all weekend. I also came down with some kind of cold. Note to anyone out there: those Zicam swabs work great. They really do help alleviate the worst problems of your usual cold.

I should also mention the Thanksgiving dinner, as it was delicious as usual. Mom worked her usual magic on the turkey, keeping the bird moist to where I'm sure I could have eaten some of the white meat. I prefer dark meat, though. The extra fat makes it better. Plenty of vegetables were in attendance for me, being green beans and these amazing mashed potatoes that Mom and Dad put together. Mom also made her usual deviled eggs, and there is definitely a trick to making them just right. We also had our usual bread stuffing, which is full of sage and tastes heavenly. For dessert we had originally gone out to Bakers Square to pick up one of their French Silk pies, but my Dad's friend brought over a no-bake cheesecake that was unique, and certainly put the pie down a few notches. It was a standard no-bake, except for the addition of Grand Marnier, Mozart Chocolate Liqueur, and Bailey's Caramel Cream. I can't really describe how good it was.

Now we get to wait for Christmas and New Years' Eve, and the fun will begin anew. The last two months of the year always seem to fly by quickly. I don't mind, though. The sooner we get through this nasty weather and get back into warm and sunny temperatures, the happier I'll be.

No comments: