Friday, October 12, 2007

SIU Pres. Poshard: Not A Plagiarist

I've kept this on the back burner for a while, watching the process here and there. Basically it looks like the people who charged President Poshard with plagiarism used more recent standards of citation practices to make their claims. When Poshard's dissertation citations were compared to those of other students in the same time period, he was found to be maintaining the standards set back then. This was at its core a big game of "gotcha" from whatever group of people at SIUC were ticked off at him. I think it's kind of stupid for him to have to update his dissertation to newer standards when no one else is required to do that, but it's a minor hassle at worst. President Poshard has been exonerated according to this article. I have no idea how much of that is true outside of the article.

I graduated from SIUC with my BA in History. Naturally, I followed with great interest when a former history professor who taught there when I attended was raked over the coals for offering a different viewpoint of race radicals in the 1960s and 1970s as an optional reading assignment. I never went to any of Dr. Bean's classes, but a problem in the History Department still made me take notice anyway. The situation with Pres. Poshard is quite similar: find a minor difference and present it as damning evidence of malfeasance. Way to go, Southern.

1 comment:

David said...

It just goes to show you that the left will use any means necessary to maintain their ideological stranglehold on the academy. The Summers case was another recent example of this fanatical anti-intellectualism. The more this sort of theing occurs, the less valued a liberal arts education will become.. and I am suspicious that his is indeed one of the goals of the left.

David, postmodernspectator.com