Monday, March 19, 2007

In sports news, HOW 'BOUT THEM SALUKIS? SIU should not be doing this well, and yet here they are in the Sweet 16. Now, if a miracle occurs and they get past Kansas, my fellow SIU alumni and I will probably all drive to Carbondale for some big party. I don't know if people actually do that or not, though. Maybe.

Also, I decided to watch tv last night. I know, shock and horror, as many people do the same. However, I decided to watch Cartoon Network's lineup of shows called "Adult Swim." Now, you have to understand, most of these shows are a mix of pathetic and stupid, and usually in large enough globs to be not funny. There have been a few shining stars, but these were in the early days of the lineup, like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Sealab 2021. Most of these shows also appear to be aimed squarely at stoners. I think it has to do less with the actual scripting and more with the subpar animation on some shows. Though in the case of shows like Squidbillies and 12 oz. Mouse, it's both.

However, there is one show that has risen out of the muck of mediocrity that has plagued the lineup in the past two or three years. Saul of the Mole Men surprised the hell out of me in being low-budget, stupid, and funnier than it has any right to be. It makes fun of all the 1970s kid's that I remember like ARK II, Space Academy and all the Sid & Marty Krofft shows like "Land of the Lost."

Now I have to tune in again to see if it was just that one episode or if it's the entire series. I hope the rest of the series is as good.

No comments: