Wednesday, November 02, 2005

This Is The Week That Is

I'm back again, and going for the item-by-item posting style that seems to work out well for me.

So, in an effort to make the President look bad, folks at the Washington Post are releasing information on how the agents of the CIA are holding terror suspects overseas in secret prisons (login required). I'll tell you this much, the article has a lot of hearsay and very little in the way of accountable sources. If this is true, the practice needs to stop right now. I'm not saying this because I feel sympathy for those who would take up arms against the United States, I'm saying it because such actions make us like Cuba. Castro is a horrible dictator, and we should not allow our intelligence agencies to act like they're in his employ. Better that we shoot our prisoners when they refuse to give up information and bury them than leave them in places where they'll be tortured needlessly. Is there a need for torture in some cases? Probably, but I'm neither a lawyer nor a philosopher. President Bush needs to remove the funding for those prisons, determine who needs to be brought to the US for further questioning, release those who can be released, and have the rest executed for violations of the Geneva Convention.

In domestic news, the President made a much better choice by nominating Judge Samuel Alito (login also required) for the open seat on the Supreme Court. He seems conservative enough, is pro-life, and may be able to keep the court more interested in interpreting the law, not expanding it. I wonder if Harriet Miers was used as a sounding board, or even part of a rope-a-dope strategy to get Alito on the track to confirmation?

So, I. Lewis Libby got indicted over the Plamegate mess. I think this was more of a "gotcha" indictment than anything else. It almost seems like it's more of an indictment over a legal technicality than anything else. Oh, wait, that was the excuse I heard at SIU over Bill Clinton's perjury issue a few years back. Mr. Libby will have his day in court, and hopefully he'll be acquitted. I hope there's evidence to show it wasn't perjury so much as a mistake in wording, but I'm not holding my breath.

Senator Harry Reid decides to hold a closed session of the entire Senate over Iraq. Fair enough, but he could at least stop acting like this is going to get the President defeated in the next election. Unlike you, Senator Reid, a President can only serve 10 years at most according to the 22nd Amendment.

On the computer entertainment front, the City of Villains expansion has made City of heroes a much more entertaining game. There have been some overall reductions in powers, yes, but I seem to be able to win fights just as often as I did prior to the expansion. Accuracy does seem to be really bug-laden at the moment. In one fight you'll hit over 95% of the time, in the next you'll barely hit at all. This seems to be an ongoing pattern, and I know plenty of bug reports have been filed over it.

Gas prices aren't what I'd like them to be, but they're much closer than three weeks ago, so I won't complain too much. It's as much seasonal price changes and reformulation as it is a sign of a good economy.

Hmm. That's about it for now. Take it easy and stop back again soon.

No comments: