Friday, August 19, 2005

Thinking about this whole Cindy Sheehan thing near the President's home in Crawford, Texas, I am finally able to take a good look at the whole situation.

Cindy Sheehan got her chance to meet with the President, and she decided to ask for more by throwing a fit in Crawford. I understand that she's grieving about her son who died last year. President Bush met with her then, so she had her chance to talk directly with him. Now she wanted another time to talk with him, a special exception because her son died for our country?

What about the other women whose sons and daughters died for our country, Mrs. Sheehan? Do you realize that you're taking time away from them? You claim to speak for your son, but your son already spoke for himself when he re-enlisted. This says a lot to me about how some mothers refuse to admit that their children have grown up. If you constantly infantilize your children in your mind, you'll never be able to comprehend that they're capable of independent thought. I am so happy that my mother never treated me like this. Sure, she wasn't happy when I joined the Air Force, nor was she happy when my unit deployed around the world. She understood, though, that as an adult I made my own decision and stuck with it no matter what.

Also, does one woman have the moral authority to speak for every family member who has lost a loved one in this war on terror? Not a whit. She speaks for herself, and certainly not for her son. The "peace movement" losers who are trying to make her a paragon of motherly suffering and wisdom should get a life in both collective and individual senses. Because I've served in the military and risked my life for their right to speak freely, perhaps I should have more moral authority than the peaceniks to tell Mrs. Sheehan how to grieve than they do? After all, what have they done for me other than dress badly and think that not getting haircuts is sticking it to The Man?

So, since I have this newfound moral authority based on my past actions that makes me a far better adviser to Cindy Sheehan than her protest pals, my advice is this: go put your life back in order. Stop trying to use wacky "The Jews Run Everything" conspiracies as justification for being mad. Grieve for your son as is your right. Admit that whether or not you disagreed with your son's decision, it was his right to choose to re-enlist, and you had neither the power nor the right to force him to change his mind. Finally, leave the President alone because you had your chance to confront him already. I hope she will take my advice with intent in which it is given. It's to get her away from the tv cameras and keep her from being held up as a symbol for a still-unpopular movement as they're keeping her in an echo chamber where she's rewarded with more attention for further tantrums, and it is to give others the chance to have their say with Mr. Bush.

No comments: