Sunday, June 19, 2005

Happy Father's Day!

I don't know if I can hammer out something like I did for Mother's Day, but here goes:

Dad, thank you for doing everything you've ever done for me. Sometimes, okay, more often than not, I'm a serious pessimist about how the world affects me. "The only easy day was yesterday" and other such phrases spring to mind when I'm alone. In fact with things going as they have, I've had a lot more bad days than good in recent memory. Yes, I've had a lot more boring and uneventful days than the other two combined, but work with me here.

My father has done what he was put here on this earth to do; he has kept me from making stupid decisions thanks to his advice, his humor, the wisdom that comes with old age and experience. He has given me plenty of fresh persepective on how to make my life in the suburbs as easy as it was when I still lived in Springfield. Dad, you have been my sounding board for my crazy ideas, my best critic, and my best counsel. You know you like to be long-winded, you like to belabor the point of your arguments at times, but I understand why. You're doing that so you have made yourself absolutely clear, so that anyone who hears you will understand exactly what's going on. When I joined the Air Force instead of finishing college immediately, you said "I'm not disappointed, but you'd better finish what you started." I know that you were proud of me when I joined, but you were also there to remind me that I had a larger obligation to myself waiting in the wings. I need those reminders every so often, and you have always been there to provide that service. I can't thank you enough for that. You have always watched out for me, and I hope that you'll keep doing that for me.

Likewise, I want everyone to know how proud I am of you, Dad. You have taken a lot of bad situations in your life and turned them to good. You could have stayed as a crane operator your entire life, waiting for one assignment to replace another as the city built itself up. You didn't do that because you knew you had a responsibility to me and Mom. You knew you had a duty to protect us as best you could. You did that both physically and economically by becoming a police officer. After a lot of contemplation, mental argument and rebuttal, and explaining your thought processes to yourself, you made the decision to do better for yourself. You took the classes you needed, went through the training that was required of you, and swore to protect the city where you raised me and provided for Mom. That may seem small compared to the duty that a man has to provide for his family, but you did it in style, Dad. I still read comics from time to time, and I look at the superheroes doing amazing feats of superhuman talent. They still can't beat you, Dad. Nobody can. I wish more children had dads like you. There would be so many more people who could look to their fathers as friends, counselors and well, dads.

Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Thanks Buddy!!! You sure know how to touch the heartstrings of a proud Dad! You (and your Mom) have always been my main focus in my adult life and will continue to be til the end of time. You didn't come with instructions when we brought you home from the hospital, so I just had to "wing it." A lot of luck, a lot of praying and, at times, a little effort, have been employed in the journey, but I have been rewarded many fold over those years and continue to be each day. You are my greatest and proudest accomplishment...every Dad should be so fortunate. I only hope I can continue to live up to the wonderful accolades you have so kindly bestowed upon me, but I couldn't ask or want for a better challenge. Thank you for such a wonderful Father's Day present!!

Love,

Dad