Friday, March 04, 2005

FEC to Limit Bloggers' Political Speech?

So, when a Federal judge overturns an FEC exemption to the McCain-Feingold Act that allows bloggers to write their support of one campaign over another, or to link to their favored campaign, could it now be considered a "campaign donation" to whoever you choose to support?

Let me get this straight: McCain-Feingold was designed to do what again? Limit that amount of soft money that goes to a campaign? If it limits money not directly given to a campaign, that's one thing. But where is it written in those various documents that speech praising a candidate has a monetary value that must be disclosed? If I don't get paid to sing the praises of one candidate or another, how do I know that it has enough value to require FEC regulation?

I had a "wait and see" approach to McCain-Feingold. I've waited, now I'm seeing what the effects have been. Between the 527 ads and a federal judge trying to place an arbitrary value on free speech, I've seen enough. Repeal the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act. My speech is free, I'd like to not have to pay for the privilege of writing nice things about my favorite candidates.

However, there's always the press exemption, and the folks at The Lone Star Times and KSEV Radio are looking into providing press credentials should McCain-Feingold be used against bloggers.

I wonder if KSEV needs an Illinois/Chicago correspondent?

1 comment:

cessair said...

The fact that it was bi-partisan legislation should have been what tipped us all off that it was a bad idea. If members of Congress aren't screwing the opposition party, they must be screwing the public.
There are multiple parties for a reason, when they find something to agree on its usually something small and meaningless, as it should be.
By the way, I like your site. I was directed here via the Corner a few days ago.