Monday, July 12, 2004

Da Coach for Senate?

Mike Ditka as a US Senator? I don't know if he'd be willing to take a pay cut. Also, is he willing to shift out of an executive mindset to do the consensus-building that is necessary for support of Senate bills? I'll be surprised if the GOP can snag him. One thing I can say he is qualified for is taking abuse from both supporters and opponents. Being head coach of a football team puts you in a serious spotlight for criticism, abuse, and taking responsibility for decisions. He can at least handle his critics. If he does so in a typically Ditka style, he'll make a lot of enemies in the press. I think his competitive nature demands some kind of opposition, so just maybe he could make it work.

So, we've got a plea to get Mike Ditka to run for Peter Fitzgerald's Senate seat. Will he do it? My Magic 8-Ball says "highly unlikely."

No comments: